Sunday, December 03, 2017

Vote/Advocate With Your Presence - Attendance at Important Meetings Matters

Tomorrow night our local school committee will discuss a few important issues including school start times. Many educators have privately and publicly shared viewpoints about this decision. Many administrators, family members, and townspeople have similarly shared their points of view. I believe a decision can be made with regard to this issue that's a win-win, a decision that benefits many without pitting some groups against others.

I plan to attend the school committee meeting tomorrow so that I can listen carefully to the discussion. I know that some of my peers are planning to attend too. I recommend that if this issue means a lot to you, that you make the time to attend the meeting. Attending meetings after the school day is a challenge for most educators and parents since their days are busy, and for many, their personal responsibilities to second jobs and their families are great. Yet, if we look out into the future, this issue can impact the success we have with teaching and learning every day. To choose wisely will benefit all in this regard.

If you care about what happens, I recommend that you attend the meeting. And, if you feel a bit overwhelmed, you can always bring your computers and multi-task a bit during the event.