Monday, October 09, 2017

Soldier Son

It's true that in short time, I may have a son who is a soldier.

I am both proud and afraid.

I do not value war of any kind, yet I know I would be the first to protect those I love.

This reality is one reason why I fear Trump so much. His speech, acts, tweets, and demeanor send the message that he cares only for himself, his money, and a few family members and friends. He doesn't care about my soldier son and would be willing to send him to war to feed his ego and prove his campaign promises. I agree with those who say that for Trump, the Presidency is a game or reality show.

Trump appears to believe in survival of the fittest. He's not one who cares about community, social values, taking care of one another, and building a loving and peaceful society. For him, it's about the game, the money, the winning, and ego.

So what about my soldier son?

Should I dissuade him from this service? My gut instinct says no since I know that he wants to understand our military and serve his country. He is an honest and true American who believes in the freedoms, rights, and privileges this country holds dear.

What is a mother to do in the face of a President who has little care for the rights, freedom, and safety of the American people, a President who is willing to use social media to incite global fraction and war. This is ever so troubling.

For now, until I know better, I'll continue to write, read, research, and advocate for what is right and good. I believe that we can work towards global harmony, peace, and good life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness for all global citizens.

We live short lives. We are less than seconds in time. What more can we do but to live well and contribute to good living for others. That is a life well lived. The greed, ego, disrespect, and danger that some promote is so ignorant in the face of the reality of our short lives and our dependence on one another. Do you agree?