Monday, March 23, 2015

Flexibility with Fraction Computation

The young boy said, "It's hard to remember what to do when you add and when you multiply fractions."

"I know," I responded, "your brain has to keep switching. They call that flexibility."

When I teach I think about the brain and how it reacts to information. Earlier in the year students wrote essays that examined the similarities and differences when calculating with whole numbers. Today they'll make models and write explanations related to fraction computation. I believe that the time to think deeply about each fraction operation process will help students to differentiate the meaning and process.

Students will use the learning menu to guide their work in the computer lab.

I'm looking forward to coaching students as they dig in deep to learn about fraction computation. Let's see what they come up with.