Saturday, December 20, 2014

Creating the Best World for Children

How can we create the best possible world for children?

What can we do together to build systems, infrastructure, and communities where children feel loved, cared for, safe, and happy?

Is it true that focusing on what's best for children creates a world that's best for all of us?

Are children the common denominator when we seek the solutions to world problems, peace, and harmony?

For example, with regard to a crisis in our midst, if we use the lens of what a child would say or need, would that set us in the right direction for current solutions and future work?

Too often we see the world with the lens of our own needs or the fleeting "here and now," we don't make the time often enough to see the world with the Iroquois view:

"In every deliberation, we must consider the impact on the seventh generation. . .even if it requires having skin as thick as the bark of a pine."

Today, as I go about my work, I'll think about the children in my midst and how my activity best serves them. I advocate this lens as I think it is a lens with the best potential for a better world.