Thursday, October 31, 2013

Voice

As you know, I have a lot to say, and in many places my voice is not met with welcome, regard, or respect.

I've been thinking a lot about this, and wondering about what to do.

I've come up with a number of ideas.

First, since my voice comes from a strong vision, it can sometimes be strong, and even uncomfortable for some. I want to think more about my audience--who they are, what they need, and the words that speak to them.

Next, I have strong resolve, resolve that I have thought carefully about, and a resolve that some do not want to think about, reflect upon, or consider.  I won't bury my voice when it comes to important matters, even if those matters are challenging and difficult. Similar to the way Chris Lehmann recently spoke about the faculty at SLA, "I'll do what I say, and say what I do."

Some have said, "You're prolific" responding to the number of posts, tweets, comments, and discussions I share. I'm not ready to slow down yet because by sharing these words, I'm able to move forward. Once the share is complete, I'm ready to tackle the next step on this forward vision--there's a light ahead and I'm following it.  The key here is that you don't have to read it all, and I don't expect you to--these posts are for the taking only if you're interested. Also, I'm open to critique, debate, discussion, and questions, after all, I certainly don't know it all.

Hence, I'll continue to share my voice, and as I do I will develop my skill and focus so that I am serving my work well in order to teach children with care. It's often not easy to share voice, but with the words of Martin Luther King, Jr. as the wind at my back, I'll continue to share.

 "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent 
about things that matter. "
                                    
-Martin Luther King, Jr