Saturday, March 16, 2013

Teaching Mindscape

From the start of the school year until the end, the children you teach become a part of your mindscape--you think about them often: strategizing, organizing, planning and responding to effect positive, engaging and life-enriching learning experiences.

Hence, I woke up this morning with the following questions in my head:
  • I notice that there are a small number of students who don't engage with independent reading; how can I find time to make a responsive, engaging book group for those students? What books will intrigue them?  Will they work best as a small group, independent readers or a couple of groups?
  • We have several complex math concepts to master, yet the class math skills, attention and abilities range significantly. How can I utilize the resources at hand, time and tools to best effect positive learning for all in this regard?
  • The schedule that was put together two months ago needs to be changed with regard to use of the computer lab, assistant teachers, recess and more to meet current needs.  How can I make those changes or do I try to fit the new learning goals into the old schedules?
Teaching in many ways is like a giant, interactive puzzle.  You, your colleagues, students and families are working in response to each other as schedules, lessons, activities, and projects unfold to meet desired goals, engaging events and positive interaction.  This is what makes teaching an engaging, creative and challenging endeavor, and what keeps me coming back to the profession year after year.