Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The First Six Weeks: 2012-2013

Ruth Charney's invaluable book, Teaching Children to Care, provides the backbone I use for the first six weeks of the school year. Charney provides a step-by-step guide to creating a caring classroom community.

Each year the first six weeks in my classroom look a bit different because I am responding to a new group of students, and because I incorporate the learning from the past year into the next.  What will the first six weeks of the 2012-2013 school year bring?

I want to ponder this question early in the summer so that during long summer walks, bike rides, reading and research, I can further my investigation of each area of focus. Hence, I've created the menu below:

The First Six Weeks Menu 2012-2013

In the coming weeks, I'll pull together each of the units above in specific posts. I welcome your thoughts and ideas as I plan for a new year of teaching.  Like the sweet smells of a bread baking in the oven, this is just the sweet start of a wonderful year to come.

*This is the film I created for the GTA application.